Cruel Seas: Bangor Class Minesweeper (Background and Rules)
The Bangor-class minesweepers were a class of warships operated by the Royal Navy (RN), Royal Canadian Navy (RCN), Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN), and Royal Indian Navy (RIN) during the second World War.
The class derives its name from the lead ship, HMS Bangor, which was launched on 19 February 1940 and commissioned on 7 November of that year. The Royal Navy ships were named after coastal towns of the United Kingdom.
Design and development
The original intent of the Bangor-class minesweeper design was to provide a coastal equivalent of the Halcyon-class minesweeper; however, the realities brought to light by the start of the war caused a modification of the design before construction had started.
The need for quick construction coupled with the limitations of engineering resources resulted in several variations existing based on the availability of propulsion machinery. The ships all had twin screws, but the machinery was a mix of steam turbine, slow-speed steam reciprocating, high-speed steam reciprocating and diesel. The diesel-powered examples were about 20 feet (6.1 m) shorter than the rest as they had no need for boiler rooms. Displacement varied with propulsion machinery from 590 to 672 tons.
The reciprocating engine powered Bangor’s were also known as the Blyth class and the steam turbine powered versions as the Ardrossan class.
HMS Ardrossan - J131
The class was considered cramped for the purposes it was built for, with not enough room provided for the acoustic and magnetic minesweeping gear carried.
Rules in Cruel Seas:
The Bangor Class Minesweeper is available here.
A downloadable copy of the official rules for using the Bangor Class Minesweeper in your games of Cruel Seas can be found by clicking here.